Current Status

Actively playing with all possible backend services

21 August, 2018

com.google.appengine vs com.google.cloud.tools appengine-maven-plugin

I was working on a Spring boot application which I needed to deploy in Google Cloud Appengine, in the same time one of my colleague made a pull request for a similar code. Then I noticed that we two have used 2 different Maven plugins from Google appengine with same artifactId.

they are:

<plugin>
<groupId> com.google.appengine</groupId>
<artifactId> appengine-maven-plugin</artifactId>
<version> 1.9.64</version>
</plugin>


and

<plugin>
<groupId> com.google.cloud.tools</groupId>
<artifactId> appengine-maven-plugin</artifactId>
<version> 1.3.2</version>
</plugin>

at the time of writing followings are the 2 articles I could find in Googledocs for 2 plugins

 https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/tools/maven
 https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/tools/using-maven

 So as the name suggests they are "App Engine SDK-based" and "Cloud SDK-based".

After doing some experiments I feel that in most cases the second one was convenient to use. 2 approaches have different authentication and in second option I could the same credentials of my Cloud SDK-based commands, which I used for gcloud auth login flow.

 Please note that second plugin need us to have Google Cloud SDK installed in your local.

No comments:

Some Popular Posts